Monday, October 20, 2008

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Versatility

It's obvious to everyone that versatility is an advantage! You're in line for more work and more variety of work. Certainly, versatility is better than limitation. Versatility also allows you to move in and out of areas if you get tired of them. Generally, this is a good thing!

On the flip side of this, there is another issue to consider. Using my career as an example, I was highly reputed in the show side of music and worked in that field for many years, I then got tired of it and went hard in the direction of Jazz concerts. From there, I returned to show playing and studio work. In time, I switched my focus to composing, working in corporate, radio and television advertising. Next was an eight year period of Neo Classical guitar with concerts, recordings, radio and television appearances. From that endeavor, I began writing instruction books on music. And through it all, I continued to teach and consult. The only activity that has been constant in my career has been teaching.

So where's the problem? Recently, I made a hard shift back to jazz concert work. But in my absence, everyone forgot who I was. It's like starting over. The same is true of all my contacts in each other field.

If you can maintain a series of activities simultaneously, it's more realistic considering how quickly the world forgets you. If you leave a field behind and don't go back to it, no problem. But all in all, it's good to have consistent activity in as many areas as you want to pursue.

Balance as always is the key to virtually everything.

No comments: